Nothing tastes as good as warm homemade sausage rolls straight from the oven. This sausage rolls recipe doesn’t require a lot of prep time, apart from mixing minced beef and other ingredients, adding the filling to the rolls, and rolling them. If you are a steak pie lover then by now, you must already be a professional pie/ roll baker, hence you won’t find it difficult to make homemade sausage rolls.
Tasty sausage rolls are made the bakery-style, these homemade beef sausage rolls are crunchy and are made with the tastiest filling. The rolls are not only made with sausage mince but also with a bit of bacon. If you are always looking for pork recipes then you’ll appreciate this sausage rolls recipe because it will give you a grated sausage taste and a bacon flavor with the tasty filling, due to the bacon in the sausage rolls.
Homemade Sausage Rolls
When you combine cheese sausage rolls and cheese bacon rolls, you get cheese and sausage bacon rolls. This is the perfect sausage and bacon rolls recipe, made with bacon, ground beef, cheddar cheese, peppers, breadcrumbs, etc.
These pastries are kid’s favorite pastries, whether they are made as snacks or to please kids at a birthday party.
Sausage and bacon rolls are one of the most popular foods to buy from bakeries all around the world, they are the most requested food and hence profitable.
This sausage rolls recipe doesn’t require a lot of prep time, apart from mixing minced beef and other ingredients, adding the filling to the rolls, and rolling them.
Sausage rolls are very similar in terms of taste and look to pigs in blankets, the difference between pigs in blankets and sausage rolls is in the filling.
Sausage mince wrapped in puff pastry. Tried and tasted delicious sausage rolls.
If you like steak and pepper, then you’ll love this pepper steak pie
Sausage rolls are enjoyed on their own or with some sauce. Whether it’s tomato sauce, honey mustard, or salsa, you’ll love every bit you’ll take.
beef sausge rolls
WHY YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS RECIPE.
FREEZER FRIENDLY: You can prepare a batch of sausage rolls ahead of time and freeze them.
CRISPY PASTRY: Golden, flaky pastry brushed with an egg wash.
KID-FRIENDLY: Every kid I know absolutely love these sausage rolls. They are crispy yet soft and delicious.
BACON: bacon is not added in this recipe for the sake of it, it’s added to make the rolls even tastier. But it’s optional 😊
GARLIC, ONION, AND CHEESE: these combinations form a perfect flavor base for the sausage rolls. The cheese adds moisture to the filling without making it watery.
PUFF PASTRY: The puff pastry for this sausage rolls recipe is made at home. You can also use store-bought frozen pastry sheets.
EGG WASH: I always brush my pies and rolls with a small amount of beaten egg so that they are golden brown when they bake.
Individual sausage rolls
Love beef? then you’ll like this meat pie
SAUSAGE ROLLS INGREDIENTS
You can customize these sausage rolls with your favorite filling.
You can use pork sausage to make pork sausage rolls. I am not a fan of pork sausage, so I stay away by all means.
Combine different flavors, these homemade rolls will still be a bomb, they do not fail.
Beef: I used minced beef because I am a big fan. You can substitute with pork mince or lamb mince. You can also use steak, and I assure you, you are going to have delicious steak rolls.
Bacon: Bacon is optional, but for the love of food, don’t leave this out. The bacon is finely chopped.
Onion: 1 thinly diced onion.
Basil and spring onion: chopped fresh basil and spring onion.
Bell peppers: Red and Green peppers.
sausage roll recipe puff pastry
Cheese: a tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese. If you want cheesy sausage rolls then include a tablespoon or two of any cheese of your choice.
Breadcrumbs: 4 Tablespoons of breadcrumbs.
Garlic and herb: I am not sure if garlic and herb spice is available worldwide but I always include this spice in my food because of it’s amazing flavor.
Salt and Pepper: a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of black pepper for the taste filling.
Flour: Use all-purpose flour.
Sugar: A tablespoon of brown or white sugar.
Salt: Pinch of salt for the pastry.
Yeast: Use instant yeast for quick prep time.
Milk: These sausage rolls were all yummy, thanks to the milk.
I didn’t use water for this recipe.
Butter: Use unsalted melted butter.
Sausage and bacon rolls– I used minced beef because I am a big fan. You can substitute ground beef with pork mince or lamb mince. You can also use steak, Using steak in place of ground beef will give you delicious steak rolls.
How To Make Sausage Rolls
Put minced beef in a mixing bowl. Add 1 egg, 1 thinly diced onion, chopped fresh basil, spring onion, red and green bell peppers, a tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese, 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and some finely chopped bacon.
Add 1 tablespoon of garlic and herb spice, salt and black pepper.
Lightly knead to ensure it is well mixed.
Dust the board with some flour and place the pastry on it, roll out the pastry with a rolling pin. Cut the pastry edges with the knife to ensure that it’s straight.
Place some of the minced beef filling on the pastry and roll it over.
Using a sharp knife, cut out the sausage roll into small portions. Repeat until all the mixed mixture is finished.
Place baking paper on a baking pan and place the sausage roll on the pan.
Brush the sausage rolls with an egg and place put in a preheated oven.
Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
sausage roll recipe
sausage rolls dough recipe
TIP: Mix the filling together using your hands. This is much easier than using a spatula.
Love chicken pie? then you love this chicken pot pie
RECIPE FAQ AND TIPS
What can I use in place of minced meat?.
You can make your own minced meat by squeezing the filling out of any sausage.
Ground beef also Minced meat also known as minced meat or sausage meat is a piece of meat made from minced meat and spices.
Can you freeze sausage and bacon rolls?
Yes!!! You can freeze sausage rolls without any problem.
Allow baked sausage rolls to completely cool. Put in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
HOW TO SERVE SAUSAGE ROLLS
Serve sausage rolls with ketchup, Dijon mustard or tomato sauce. You can also serve them with a salad.
Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Ceramic Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Chopping Board
- Kneading board
- Rolling Pin
- Kitchen Knife
- Sharp knife
- Baking Pan
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1 ½ Cups of fresh milk
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 eggs for egg wash
- 1 kg packet of minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1 thinly diced onion
- Chopped fresh basil
- Chopped spring onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 20 g finely chopped bacon
- 1 teaspoon garlic and herb spice
- 1 tablespoon salt and pepper
- Sift 2 cups of flour using a flour sifter. Using a mixing bowl, add flour, a tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons of instant yeast, mix using a spatula.
- Add one and a half cup of milk and a 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix using a wooden spatula til well incorporated.
- Put the dough on a board and knead for 3 minutes. Cover with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for an hour.
Prepare The Filling
- Put minced beef in a mixing bowl. Add 1 egg, 1 thinly diced onion, chopped fresh basil, spring onion, red and green bell peppers, a tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese, 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and some finely chopped bacon. Add 1 tablespoon of garlic and herb spice, salt and black pepper.
- Lightly knead to ensure it is well mixed.
Assemble And Bake Sausage Rolls
- Dust the board with some flour and place the pastry on it, roll out the pastry with a rolling pin. Cut the pastry edges with the knife to ensure that it’s straight.
- Place some of the minced beef filling on the pastry and roll it over. Using a sharp knife, cut out the sausage roll into small portions. Repeat until all the mixed mixture is finished.
- Place baking paper on a baking pan and place the sausage roll on the pan.
- Brush the sausage rolls with an egg and place put in a preheated oven. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- If you do not have sausage mince then make your own by squeezing the filling out of the skin of the sausage.
- Serving – Serve beef sausage rolls with ketchup or tomato sauce.
- Making Sausage Rolls Ahead of Time– brush sausage rolls with egg wash, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for a day. Preheat the oven, brush rolls, and bake.
- Freezing Baked Sausage Rolls-Make sure after they are baked you let them cool completely. Then in an airtight container, place a layer of parchment paper between the layers of sausage rolls. To warm the sausage rolls place them on a baking sheet and bake at 180C for about 20 minutes or until they are warmed through.